We have all done it, branded businesses without even knowing that we are doing it: "That coffee shop with that rude waitress" "Oh I hate going in that store, it takes FOREVER!". All of us have also been like little evangelists for certain businesses without even knowing it: "Thanks! My glasses are from Warby Parker - they are sooo cool - for every pair of glasses you buy they donate a pair to someone in need!!!". So, how can you make sure you are on the positive side of this?
First of all, what is branding? Is it:
- A logo?
- The colors and fonts you use on your marketing?
- The way your employees look?
- The way you do business with your customers?
- The personality of your business?
- Who you service?
- What you guarantee or what you promise?
- Overall experience your customers have?
Well, it is ALL OF THE ABOVE AND MORE! Most business people think that branding is just your look or your logo. Wrong! It encompasses your purpose and what you are trying to accomplish as a business. If you do not know your brand, you are in big trouble! If you don't brand your company your customers will, whether you like it or not. So brand first or be branded later! Unless you figured this all out right from the start, you are probably already too late, but that doesn't mean you can't fix it!
A proper branding exercise will allow you to create a great marketing strategy. It will:
- Rehabilitate your purpose as a business owner.
- Help you train your employees.
- Make it clear about what is right and wrong for your business, saving you time and money
So take a look at your business and all the points above. What do you need to work on? Getting those points in will put you on the road to a better brand. We will be doing more parts to this series that will give you tips and exercises about creating your brand. So stay tuned!